Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you. Friedrich Nietzsche
“Something that worked for me was imagining that where I wanted to be was a mountain. A distant mountain. My goal. And I knew that as long as I kept walking towards the mountain I would be all right. And when I truly was not sure what to do, I could not stop, and think about whether it was taking me towards or away from the mountain.” – Neil Gaiman
Three stone masons in the middle ages were hard at work when a visitor came along and asked them what they were doing.
The first stone mason was hard at work, sweat beading his brow. “I am cutting this stone”, he grumbled.
The second stone mason, though less distraught, responded with a deep sigh, “I’m building a parapet”.
The third stone mason, replied with a radiant face, “I am building a cathedral that will glorify God for centuries to come”.
- If anything can go wrong, fix it! (To hell with Murphy!)
- When given a choice, take both.
- Multiple projects lead to multiple successes.
- Start at the top and work your way up.
- Do it by the book… but be the author.
- When forced to compromise, ask for more.
- If you can’t beat them, join them, and then beat them.
- If it’s worth doing, it’s got to be done now!
- If you can’t win, change the rules.
- If you can’t change the rules, then ignore them.
- Perfection is not optional.
- When faced without a challenge, make one.
- “No” simply means begin again at one level higher.
- Don’t walk when you can run.
- When in doubt, THINK!
- Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing.
- The squeaky wheel gets replaced.
- The faster you move, the slower time passes, the longer you live!
- Bureaucracy is a challenge to be conquered with a righteous attitude, a tolerance for stupidity, and a bulldozer when necessary.
“The lion who breaks the enemy’s ranks is a minor hero compared to the lion who overcomes himself.” Mevlana Rumi
“Some people die at 25 and aren’t buried until 75.” Ben Franklin
“Losers have goals. Winners have systems.” Scott Adams
“The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation.” Neil deGrasse Tyson
“It blows me away every time I walk into a nice home and meet its proud, overweight, out-of-shape owner. They just don’t get it. Your real home is not your apartment or your house or your city or even your country, but your body. It is the only thing you, your soul and your mind, will always live inside of so long as you walk the earth. It is the single most important physical thing in this world you can take care of.” Mark Lauren
“Andy Bechtolsheim is also famous for being one of the first investors in Google. After getting the pitch he went to his car to write a $100,000 check for the not-yet-incorporated company. At one stage I saw that investment was valued at $1.5 billion”
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
“Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done, and why. Then do it.” – Lazarus Long
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.” – Douglas Adams
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” – Seneca